Midway Weather

Sunday, December 18, 2011

I have seen The Light

View from my new room! A window!
For the last few weeks I've been stuck in 'transient housing', designed for anyone expected to be at McMurdo for 21 days or less.  It is comprised of windowless hovels that accommodate up to six people at a time.  In my 30 days I had a dozen roommates.

Scumbag roommate's bedside supply of junk food
The last roommate finally put me over the edge.  He was a morbidly obese plumber from the South Pole that had to be flown to New Zealand because of a back injury [likely related to the 200 lb gut hanging out in front of him].  His return trip was delayed at McMurdo and I had to suffer with him lying in bed all day [and night] watching TV, eating chips and slurping can after can of Mountain Dew.
I suffered with him leaving the TV on through the night for several days before finally unplugging the cable.
Fortunately management took pity on me and I have been moved to more luxurious accommodations.  The first night I had the room to myself!  That night I slept for 14 glorious, uninterrupted hours.
The only problem now is that I've got light streaming onto my bed 24 hours a day.  Last night I woke up at 11:30pm with the room fully lit; fortunately I quickly drifted off to sleep.  When I awoke later, it seemed time to get up and start the day- it was 1am.

No comments:

Post a Comment